If you own horses, you’ll know that keeping them healthy is a 24-hour job. They are very big, so you’ll have to be sure that these animals are kept fuelled, especially if you are breeding them to race or for horse shows. You’ll have to make sure that your horse is kept fit and healthy.
These bowls should be very easy to clean out, as you can expect them to be covered in a lot of horse muck and other debris. If you are going to be keeping these waterers in your field, then you can expect them to be covered in grass and mud. This is why you’ll have to think about the best material for your waterer.
You’ll also want to think about what other features your horse waterer will have. You can get waterers that are heated, which is very important if you are getting them hydrated in the cold winter months. Horses traditionally dwell outside and you could make sure that this water is something that will keep them heated in the morning.
Your horse’s safety will also be very important, so you’ll want to think about the shape of your bowl itself. Giving your bowl a rounded edge will make all the difference, meaning that your horse won’t be cutting itself on any sharp edges. The size of the watering bowl is also crucial, especially if you are watering more than one horse at the same time.
So where can you find the best automatic waterers for horses? What features should these waterers have to give you a very consistent watering? What is the best material for an automatic horse watering system to be made from? How much will you have to pay for a decent horse watering system?
Well, if you want to know the answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading this article. We have compiled a list of some of the best automatic horse waterers that we currently have on the market, along with some of the great features that comes with each one.
Best Automatic Waterer For Horses
[amazon fields=”B000H5Y144″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Our first automatic horse waterer has everything that you need to provide your horse with clean and fresh water throughout the day. Not only is this thing very easy to clean, but it also comes with a durable construction that will ensure that this will last for years.
This can be easily secured to a fence post, so that your horse will not have to crane its neck down to drink – introducing the Little Giant Automatic Animal Waterer.
- Once the water level of this bucket gets below a certain level, then the motor will kick in and it will refill your tank.
- This will certainly hold enough water for a collection of some of your favorite horses. This is better for making the level of water last a lot longer.
- This is very easy to clean, with a solid metal construction that you can easily scrape mud and grass off, as well as horse slobber.
- This can be attached to the side of a fence using a simple metal bracket by just about anyone. It also has a rounded construction, so you won’t have to worry about it nicking the underside of your horse’s neck or chest.
- This one does not have an automatic drain, so you might find yourself having to manually scoop out scummy water by the handful.
[amazon fields=”B00P4FNK1M” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
This next automatic horse waterer comes with stainless steel construction, making it not only very durable but also extremely easy to clean. This comes with a water inlet that is very easy to move on the inside of your bowl.
When it comes to versatility, this is one of the best bowls on the market, allowing you to accommodate multiple horses in one sitting – introducing the Automatic Farm Grade Stainless Stock Waterer.
- This comes with a warranty which will save you money in the long term. If your automatic waterer is malfunctioning for whatever reason, then you can always return it and get your money back.
- You can install this at any height, which makes it ideal for horses of any size. Whether you have some Shetlands or stallions, then you can be sure all heights will get fed.
- This is made from one of the most durable and easy-to-clean materials, stainless steel. You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need to keep this model in good condition.
- You can adapt the water inlet of this bowl to any surroundings that you like, which will be good if you ever want to move your bowl from one side of the field to the other.
- This unit does not come with any accessories, so you might have to buy them separately.
[amazon fields=”B00171IVHA” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
This next water bowl is one that comes with plenty of storage capacity, allowing you to water multiple horses at any one time. This is a great bowl if you have horses that like to water themselves at the same time.
It also comes with a rounded lip that you can be sure will not injure the underside of your horse’s neck – introducing the H20 Animal Hydration Aqua Buddy.
- This comes with a floating water valve that will always be monitoring the level of the water. If it dips below a certain level, then it will fill to the top again.
- You can attach this one to your hose very easily, so you won’t have to worry if you are not the most DIY-minded person.
- You can remove the bowl from the inside of this waterer, which makes it much easier to clean off horrible gunk and other grass buildups.
- This can hold up to 5 gallons of water, which will be very useful for quenching the thirst of even your biggest horse.
- If you have this outside in those warm summer months, then the material of the bowl itself will conduct the heat and make the water warm. This might put your horse off from drinking it.
[amazon fields=”B07H2KVW38″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
This next automatic waterer is one that is completely insulated, giving you everything that you need to maintain the proper water temperature, no matter what the seasons.
This has one of the best drainage systems that we’ve seen on this list so far, not only does it get rid of your water quickly, but it will make it much easier to clean – introducing the Ritchie OmniFount 2 Automatic Heated Cattle.
- This is made from completely weatherproof material, which means that no matter how bad the rain gets, your waterer will remain solid and strong.
- This comes with electric heating, which means that you won’t have to worry about this unit succumbing to frost, particularly during those cold winter months.
- This comes with a completely insulated body, so you won’t have to worry about it suffering from the harsh weather temperatures, encouraging your horses to drink all year round.
- This waterer has a pretty neat construction, keeping your water removed from some of the harsher temperatures, but also preventing any frosting or warming that might be unappealing to your equine friends.
- This can sometimes close off the inside of the flow of your water. However, this can be easily repaired.
[amazon fields=”B000DCOS26″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
This next waterer offers some of the best rust protection that you can get on the market, which means that your waterer will simply last for a lot longer. This has a high holding capacity for water, allowing you to feed a variety of animals including cows, lambs and donkeys – introducing the Little Giant 88ESW Automatic Waterer.
- This comes with a detachable bowl, which is great for cleaning down the refuse that can naturally accumulate from horses.
- You can be sure that this will be protected from rust, meaning that it won’t corrode or break down over time.
- This horse waterer is black and very stylish. It will have the right construction that you need to keep your watering device in optimal condition.
- You can use this with a variety of different animals, which is great if you like to keep a few different species in the same field.
- This is not made from a sturdy steel material, which might lead to some compromised feeding scenarios and maybe even an upturned automatic waterer.
[amazon fields=”B07CJQTFBH” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
This next automatic waterer is another rounded and very sanitary model. This comes with rounded edges that will protect your horse from any scratches that could lead to infection.
This has a very good drainage system, with the water leaving the bowl quickly through a neat drainage hole in the back of the basin – introducing the Homen Automatic Waterer.
- This unit is very easy to install, which will certainly appeal to any animal owner or horse rider that prefers to focus on the riding rather than any DIY.
- This is suitable for all different types of animals, whether it is cows, horses or sheep. This is great for anyone who owns a diverse field of animals.
- This comes with a stainless steel design, making it one of the easiest bowls to clean after you have used it.
- This has a hinge on the back that you can fold up at the end of the day to ensure that the inside does not succumb to frost.
- The construction of this automatic waterer is not the best and some people who have used this feeder have complained that it blows off the side of their fence in bad weather.
[amazon fields=”B078KQY57G” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
This is another very simple and solid automatic waterer, coming with very few moving parts, making it one of the easiest to set up and use. This is very easy to clean and is actually very sanitary. This will keep the level of infection of your horses down to an absolute minimum – introducing the Lucky Farm Water Feeder.
- This water basin is rust-proof and will even withstand the shock that you might get from throwing it at the wall.
- This comes in a very simple design that you can hook to the fence and let it hang. This is great if you are a young rider and want to keep things simple.
- This comes with a single hose that will feed into the bottom of the basin, with an electronic tracker that will detect when the water gets below a certain level.
- This will keep the contents of your watering bowl very hygienic, which is important for protecting the health of your horse.
- This is a very basic design that does not come with some of the high-end features that you can get with some of the waterers that we’ve listed above.
[amazon fields=”B007PYN6AA” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Next up, we have another insulated waterer that will make sure that the water on the inside of your bowl is kept at the best temperature. This will encourage your horses to drink from the bowl no matter what the weather.
This will keep the water heated during the winter, which will help keep your horses well-insulated – introducing the Behlen Country AHW80 Insulated Cattle.
- This waterer is very easy to install, giving you everything that you need to keep your horses nice and hydrated.
- This comes with an electric heater which will give you everything that you need to make sure your water is at the optimum temperature.
- This comes with a fully assembled voltage box that prevents any stray voltage from getting either to the water or your horse’s muzzle.
- This has plenty of access doors, so if something does go wrong then you can have decent access to the inside of the waterer.
- This box is a little heavy, which might make installation very difficult to manage. You should make sure that you have a sturdy vertical surface to mount it on.
[amazon fields=”B008DO2XAA” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
This final automatic waterer is another one that comes with some amazing insulation, keeping your water temperature perfect no matter what the weather is outside.
This comes in a visible red design that you can be sure will give you everything that you need when you are changing the water at night – introducing the Brower MK32E Super Insulated Electric Heated Livestock Waterer.
- This box contains no formaldehyde, so you won’t have to worry about any cross-contamination in your horse’s drinking water.
- This is a very sturdy watering holder, you won’t have to worry about this one blowing down in strong weather.
- This will be able to accommodate two fully grown horses. However, you can also use it for cows, sheep and donkeys. This is great for anyone who has multiple livestock.
- This is made from steel, so you can be sure that you’ll be able to clean it regularly and easily. Harder stains will find this surface much more difficult to stick to.
- This is another very heavy unit, so you might be struggling to clean it or remount it if it comes off the side of your fence.
When you are out buying a new automatic waterer for your horses, there will be a few things that you’ll need to consider. The construction is probably the most important thing to consider, as you’ll be mounting this thing in the great outdoors, so you’ll need to make sure it can weather all storms… literally!
Here are a few things that you’ll be looking for when you pick up your next automatic waterer:
How Easy Is It To Empty?
Ideally, you’ll want a horse waterer that can empty itself. This will save you the hassle of picking it up every time and emptying it. There are many horse waterers on the list above that fill themselves up when they get below a certain level.
Having an automatic filler will be very important if you are a senior horse owner and you are having trouble changing the water inside your bowl.
How Durable Is The Bowl?
If you have a bowl that is made from steel, then you have everything that you need not only for protection against knocks and falls, but also from the rain and any rust that can accumulate. Stainless steel is also great for cleaning and preserving the integrity of your bowl.
How Much Water Can It Hold?
This is very important for quenching the thirst of your horses. If you have a field with up to 5 horses, then you’ll need at least 5 gallons of water storage. The ability for your waterer to fill itself will also be very important, saving you the hassle of having to change your water every few days.
Does It Heat Itself?
Having a water canister that will be able to heat itself will be very important when you are watering your horses in the winter months.
If your water is too cold, then the chances are that it will frost over and your horse will be both cold and dehydrated. It is important to have a water heater that will stay running even in the most freezing cold conditions. This means that your horse will be able to have water throughout the colder seasons.
How Easy Is It To Clean?
Heaving 5 gallons of water from the holster and onto the floor will be very difficult for most horse owners, especially if you are smaller or you have mobility issues. Ideally, you should have a detachable bowl and a good drainage system. This way you can empty the entire bowl before lifting it out of the bracket.
Having the ability to regularly clean out your bowl will maintain the integrity of your whole unit as time goes on. If you have too much gunk accumulating on your waterer, then it will not only reduce the functionality of your waterer but will increase the likelihood of your horse ingesting bacteria.
Does It Have Self-Monitoring Functions?
Having a waterer that will be able to detect the levels of the water and replenish itself automatically will be very important for making sure that your horse is regularly kept hydrated without you even having to tend to it.
You’ll need to make sure that your basin is connected at all times from a sturdy hose that you can use to connect to the mains water supply in your house. The end of the hose that is attached to the water bowl should be made from metal, as this will result in your hose corroding quicker near the water source.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should You Check Your Auto-Waterer?
You should make sure that you are checking the functionality and the cleanliness of your automatic waterer at least once a week. This is because there will be a natural buildup of bacteria that will eventually affect the health of your horse.
We would also recommend that you check the Ph levels of the water at least once a month. This is because outside elements can often affect the acid levels of your water. Washing out the inside basin of your horse waterer will also be necessary at least once a month, as it will get rid of nasty bacteria that build up underneath.
How Best To Clean Your Waterer?
Some horse owners use bleach to clean out the inside chamber of their watering device. This will be very important if you are trying to get rid of nasty bacteria that can accumulate on the inside of your horse waterer. You should always make sure that there is a constant stream of water getting to the inside of your waterer.
If you are using bleach, make sure to rinse it out thoroughly afterward, allowing it to dry for at least 24 hours before putting it back to use.